I was really attracted to attempting this recipe for a few reasons. 1) I have been looking for new fun things to bake. 2) These won't bake for too long because they are smaller than a whole pie. 3) It required cutting less apples than a bigger pie. 4) Pre-made dough and pre-mixed spices were A-O-Kay!
I ran to the store and one of the things on my list included:
When I found the spice aisle of the grocery store I was confident I would find what I was looking for. There were racks and racks of McCormick spices along with more shelves and racks of other brands. There were even two different kinds of this pre-mixed spice:
I looked, and looked........and looked. Apple Pie Spice was no where to be found. Having never made any sort of apple pie before, I was a bit panicked about this. I decided to look up what was in this mix and get those spices. I had cinnamon, I found some nutmeg, I found some allspice...and I decided to go with a litttttle bit of brown sugar and skip the cardamom....it was sort of pricey. I knew I could find uses for the other spices, but I have only heard of using cardamom once ever before (in an interesting whoopie pie) so it didn't seem like a necessary investment. (Speaking of investing in spices...my friend Shirin jokes about her kitchen spice inventory in her cute blog: Diary of a Messy Kitchen)!
I started by chopping up two apples, and then putting them on the stove with some sugar, lemon juice, and my own apple spice mix. Once the sugar melted and boiled, I added some cornstarch to thicken the mixture up...
I have to say, this was really easy to mix up and to my surprise the sugar mixture was really easy to clean off my pan :-). Once the filling was ready, I took out the pre-made pie crust and use an apple shaped cookie cutter for the crust of the pops. I got about 9 pieces out of each crust, but there was a lot of extra dough. This is when I remembered that I don't have a rolling pin...whoops!...well who needs a rolling pin when you've got the captain helping you out?
Ok well...I could still use a rolling pin but the captain did a pretty good job. I managed to get 4 more out of each crust! After I had all my crust pieces cut out, it was time for assembly. I was convinced that using the apple cookie cutter was pointless after putting the edges of the crust together...they didn't really look like apples once put together...
I got a total of 13 apple pie pops put together on 2 trays...Milo was in his normal kitchen supervisor position.
I topped the pops off with an egg bath, cinnamon and sugar :-)
Then they went in the oven...and I crossed my fingers that they wouldn't explode (especially around the stick). As they baked, I cleaned up the counter, and was surprised at how even though I felt like I used a lot of kitchen supplies, the sink was only full of little dishes! I'm used to a sink FULL with big bowls after I bake.
About 15 minutes later, out came the pops! And to my surprise...they actually sort of looked like apples despite how much I thought I mutilated them during construction!
A few of the pops cracked open....I decided to take the worst one and make myself a late night snack when I was done ;-)...these mini pies are PERFECT with ice cream!
I still wasn't sure if the apple pie pops would actually stand up. They seemed a bit top heavy so I didn't have a lot of confidence. Even after I let them cool for a while, they weren't feeling too stable. However the next day at work I had a 9 out of 12 success rate when I stood them up! Look!
They were a big success! The branch (and the boss) thought they were great! (So there missing Apple Pie Spice!) I think I might try to make these again this weekend, but perhaps without the pops. Maybe make them "bites" with smaller cutouts....hmmmmm.
Sidenote: Sorry about my blurry pictures...I need to look into why my phone on my camera stopped focusing, but it was hard while I had messy hands.












these look awesome - sorry i missed them!
ReplyDelete@Jacki .... we MAY have saved some for two people who were on vacation last week ;-)
ReplyDeleteI think your fresh spices would be better than the stale old apple spice. But oh, cardamom is AMAZING...my favoritest spice!
ReplyDeleteThe apple pie pops are adorable. Love the concept.